Sunday, November 23, 2008

Just something I was thinking about after church today.

One teaching of the Church I belong to is that of "opposition in all things." It basically means that if we never had bad things happen to us, we would never learn to appreciate the good.

Today I was thinking about that and flipped it around in my mind: Maybe, if we never had good things happen to us, we would never realize that our lives were so bad!

Then I thought, maybe that's what it's like, this life on earth. We survive by focusing on the relatively good things, yes, but in reality... life sucks. It's hard, and bad things happen all the time. I mean, compared to the next life? Yes. I believe that the paradise that awaits us when we die, and then the glorified kingdoms of heaven that follow after we are judged, are so much more brilliant and amazing and wonderful for us to even comprehend.

But the very fact that we can't comprehend it helps us to not realize that our lives are so hard down here!

So I'm glad God hasn't told us every little thing about life in the eternities that follows this world. Because then we'd want it so badly no one would want to stay down here. And we need to use our time to experience life on earth, first. Later we can go live with Him.

Anyway, just a thought I wanted to share, because I have a blog and I can. :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Kind of like Middle School. I never really realized how bad things were in middle school until I got to high school and looked back and said "wow that was a miserable experience." So yeah, not being able to gauge how bad things really are probably helps us keep our peace of mind.

Jalayne said...

I like it, Beckie

Colette said...

Oddly, this thought just makes me laugh. But I do agree. I have never thought of it like that, but I agree.