Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Don't Punch the CEO of Cafe Rio in the face

Its's 2AM on a Wednesday morning again, you know what that means kids? AARON'S BLOG TIME!!!  I really don't know what I am going to write about yet ( 90% of people who are not bored enough, please stop reading.....now) but I think this is probably an improvement on watching a B movie on Netflix or downloading kpop music videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3tuZF1qizQ&feature=plcp, discussion for another day). Today's discussion will be on Cafe Rio, which may be connected to my eating tortilla chips right now.  I just can't bring myself to pay $1 for a scoop of sour cream.  Anybody else acknowledge this highway robbery?  Guacamole, I get, avocados are wicked expensive, $1 each on average, and so to make any kind of decent profit margin on the sale of guac, they need to sell each scoop for $.75 (so the profit margin is a little more then decent). But sour cream?!  That stuff is cheap!  You can buy 16 oz for $1 at the grocery store.  So it makes sense that a restaurant could buy it for even less in bulk wholesale. So let's just say that the purchaser at Cafe Rio is terrible, and their sour cream is $1 for 16 oz. How many scoops is that?   I figure one scoop is 3 tablespoons. That means 16 oz of sour cream translates into 10.5 scoops.  That is a profit margin of 950% (This is the part where you are all appalled).  So, your saying, what's the big deal? Just don't get sour cream if it bugs you that much. You are right, I could pass on the sour cream-if I liked eating crap.  Mexican food requires sour cream in my book. I equate charging extra for sour cream at a Mexican restaurant with a salad buffet charging extra for lettuce.  The dish would be hopelessly lost without it.  But there is a work around to giving in to the ridiculousness of the extra charge.  The answer-tostada.  Yes, my friends, there is more then just burritos and salads at this restaurant, there is a delicious taco-salad hybrid called a tostada.  It includes sour cream and creamy sauce and is nearly the same as a cafe rio salad (just slightly smaller). Also, it costs $2 less.  Also, a smaller salad solves the problem of your wife always wanting to save half of her full sized salad for later (admit it, lettuce wilts, and the next day the salad will taste gross).  I hope this segment has been educational for all of you.  No need to punch the CEO of Cafe Rio in the face, just buy a tostada.

If you feel jipped because you read this in the hopes that eventually it would become a legitimate post, here is another blog I wrote on nuclear power http://ofgoodintent.blogspot.com/2011/04/quickly-while-i-am-bugged.html

5 comments:

BeckieB said...

Por el contrario. (I would use Au Contraire but we ARE talking mexican food, and I couldn't spell it). Just to clarify that saving Cafe Rio salads is an art many women have perfected: eat all the greens on day 1 and save the beans, rice, meat, tortilla, etc for later. If you tell me that THOSE don't reheat well I will punch YOU in the face.

Cheryl Johnson said...

I eat reheated wilted lettuce and I like it.

And don't you DARE judge me.

Brittany said...

Excellent bloggery Aaron! I will read more!

Unknown said...

Amigo
Just so you know, we did punch our CEO in the face, we've fired our purchaser (any interest in buying huge vats of sour cream on a daily basis??)AND...we've rolled out free sour cream in a few test markets across the country. So there you go. Baby steps amigo, baby steps.
Cafe Rio Corporate

Aaron said...

Whoa, is my wife threatening to punch me in the face? (Did I mention that your hair cut looks fabulous?) What you say is truth. The beans, rice, and meat is a reheated meal worthy of a king....or queen.....with a fabulous hair cut.