Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Music is my boyfriend
Music is my girlfriend
Music is my dead end
Music is my imaginary friend

You've probably heard that song. (Thanks, iPod commercials!) Except this time it's true. Music keeps you company when you need it. As Jimmy says, "I'm not alone 'cause the TV's on, yeah." When you're walking with your headphones, you're not walking by yourself. When you're sitting in your room, your speakers sit beside you. When you're driving, the radio's driving with you.

Music is my brother
Music is my great-grand-daughter
Music is my sister
Music is my favorite mistress

It says what I want to say when I can't say it. It reminds me of good times and it makes new times. I listen to it in my head even when my ears hear nothing.

Music is my beach house
Music is my hometown
Music is my king-sized bed
Music is where I meet with my friends

All that being said...let us not forget what Elder Russel M Nelson said on Sunday about the "power and protection provided by worthy music." Music has the power to facilitate spiritual nourishment, it has healing power, it can overcome language barriers.

And "Overindulging in loud music can make you spiritually deaf."

And "Don't degrade yourself. Listen to music worthy of you."

And "That which does not edify is not of God."

And

"Delete the rubbish from your minds and your iPods."


3 comments:

Alan said...

i like your use of blockquotes

Anna said...

I liked that talk. It was a good one. Your last quote was my favorite.

Heather said...

It's definitley true...Music is my current boyfriend. And we are very happy together thank you very much!