Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Feminism, Kaleidoscopic Hanes, Catholic Churches, and Canadian Zombies

Almost as humdrum as the typical "picture only post" is the "music only post."  While music usually lends itself to more commentary (if a picture is worth 1,000 words, audio is worth 10,000, and video 100,000. Which interestingly enough matches up pretty well to kilobytes of size) it also takes more effort (2 seconds for a picture vs 3 minutes for a song) and is often scrolled over. That being said, I like finding new music, and I just learned how to copy embed HTML5 code, so here goes nothing.

Since the release of "I'm not a Robot" two years ago, Marina and the Diamonds (which I believe is a misleading name because it implies there is a band is addition to Maria...I mean Marina. Much like Selena Gomez and the Scene) has actually gotten more bitter and sarcastic about woman's roles in modern society.  I tried listening to the entirety of her new album "Electra Heart" and four songs in was slightly overloaded with feminism and bitterness.  But it is palatable in small doses, especially when it is sung to a rad electro house track.



Speaking of electronic music, (which I love, and find quite a lot of variety in nowadays) I came across this gem by french group C2C.  They call their style "Turntablism." I included the video below because I really like how it matches visually with the music.  Yes, the entire video is of some girl in her underwear floating around.  But let me argue that first, none of it is sexual in any way and second, this could pass as a really cool Hanes commercial.



This next video of theirs, while not as nearly cool of a song, is well made and deserves viewers

While I am generally kind of bored of wobble bass heavy music such as electro house and dubstep, this song by Zomboy seems to fit the Halloween season quite well.  It is also quite musically intricate and progressive.



 Also, I wanted to get something off my chest.  This song is in no way, shape, or form, a dubstep song. I know it has wobble bass and a drop, but neither of these is actually required in a dubstep song.  Hint: It has to do with the beat of the song.  This next song for example, is a dubstep song.



Ok, off the high horse and back to good old alternative rock.  By now, The Joy Formidable is old news and everyone has heard the song Whirring 50 times.  But most likely you have heard the woosey radio version that fades out after 2:40.  The album version is way more legit, rocking out from 2:40 to 6:47 and reminding all that rock is alive and well.  It makes you want to listen to the next track on the album, right! Which you should, the whole album is excellent, which is why they have now replaced Metric as my favorite alt rock band with a female lead (which I merely hope is female. I just realized the singer for Silversun Pickups is a dude. I know, right! I blame Tracey Chapman)



I'll end with a mandatory KPOP shoutout.  Nothing special, but a great work out song.

No comments: